Charles Jones - copyright material

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Christian Loyalty Should Not Be A Joke

     The preacher was talking with Pat the Irishman and asked, "Pat, if you had two million dollars, do you love God enough that you would give him one of them?"
     Pat said, "Preacher, I am surprised that you would even ask me that.  You know I love God enough that I would give him a million if I had two million."
     Then the preacher asked, "Pat, if you had two black-land farms, do you love God enough to give him one of them?"
     Again Pat responded as if his feelings were a little hurt, "Preacher, you know I love God enough to give him one of the farms if I had two farms."
     To which the preacher continued, "Pat, if you had two Poland China hogs, do you love God enough to give him one of the hogs?"
     To which Pat quickly stated, "Now preacher, you knew I had those two hogs before you even asked."
     If we would be truthful, we all have had a little of Pat's attitude, much too often.  We think of what we would do if the situation were just right, if we suddenly had plenty of money, or if the right opportunity came along; then we would be a better witness for God.  Part of our problem is that we are unaware of the fact that God has already equipped us with the necessary tools to be a witness for Him.  It is not a question of our ability; it is a question of our availability!
     I recall a situation that occurred when I was between pastorates.  I wanted to be sure that I continued to be a witness and often prayed that God would give me an opportunity to be a witness for him.  I left the house one morning and it was raining "cats and dogs".  I drove by a car that was stopped on the side of the road with a flat tire.  About that time I again prayed, Lord give me an opportunity to do something good today.  It did not take an audible voice to get the message across to me.  The message was loud and clear.  I immediately turned around and went back to help fix the flat.
     There is no way to measure the value of eternal life that God has given to each of his children.  But, ever so often, we act as if the only purpose for Him granting us eternal life was so we could miss hell and make heaven.  He wants each of us to surrender totally and completely to Him.  He does not want a part of your life, He wants to be prominent.  To not allow him the prominence in your life is to share part of your life with another "god".  "You cannot serve two masters."  Many people have to have a second job to make ends meet.  We call this moonlighting.  God is not a moonlighting
God.
     The concept is no different than the Christian being a slave to Jesus.  He went into the marketplace of sin and paid the complete price in order to redeem us from sin.  But, you say, I don't want to be a slave.  You already are.  Without a complete surrender to Jesus you will become a slave to sin.  You will never know what complete happiness is until you change masters.  You cannot serve two masters.
     Christian loyalty is no laughing matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment