Charles Jones - copyright material

Sunday, February 12, 2012

God's Valentine Day

     The elderly couple had been married for 70 years.  Since the first day of their marriage a box had set in the closet.  The wife had told her husband to never look in the box.  Finally, curosity had its way and the husband sneaked into the closet and opened the box.  It contained a pair of baby booties and a large stack of 100 dollar bills.  He confessed to his wife that he had sneaked a peak and she said that it was alright.  "Tell me what is so amazing about the box that you did not want me to look in it."  The wife said, "My mother told me to never have an argument.  When I became angry she said for me to crochet a pair of baby booties."  The husband said, "You mean you only got angry with me twice in seventy years."  To which the wife replied, "No, every time I got a dozen pair crocheted, I would sell them.  That's where the money came from."
     There must be a lot of love for a marriage to endure 70 years.  Valentine Day is just around the corner and a lot of people will be expressing their love through giving cards, candy, flowers or other gifts.  I don't know if I ever met someone who did not like Valentine Day.  I remember a valentine day when I was in the 7th grade in which I had a crush on a 10th grade girl.  I bought a beautiful Valentine to give to her.  I mean it was special, I probably paid a quarter for it.  People called that type of attraction puppy love.  I don't know about that but it was sure real to the puppy.  A lot of people get married on puppy love and it usually leads to a dog's life.
     But no better day pictures God's love for the human race than Valentine Day.  In order for Valentine Day to have a meaning there must be a giver.  Someone must give a gift to their loved one.  Oh, what a gift God gave when he gave his only begotten Son to be the Saviour of the world.  No man loved greater than the love of God. 
     Then there of necessity must be a receiver of the gift.  The lover thrills when the card comes, the candy or gift is exchanged.  It would be a rare occasion when a person would refuse the Valentine on Valentine's Day.  And so it is with God, he only offers his love it is never forced.  The scripture says, "He came to his own, but his own received him not, but as many as received him gave he them power to become the sons of God.
     Oh, joy of all joys, one day God singled me out of all the people in the world and said, "I want you to be mine."  He makes the same offer to each and ever individual in the world.  Thank God he loves us in spite of our sinfulness.

No comments:

Post a Comment