Charles Jones - copyright material

Monday, July 4, 2011

Marriage Should Not Be A Joke

     The marriage ceremony should be a very solemn occasion.  In spite of this being so, occasionally humorous things do happen that usually do not take away from the moment but add something that will be remembered years later.  I have a friend in the ministry by the name of Coy.  Many preachers get nervous at weddings and even more so when it is the first one that is being conducted.  This was the case, as it has been told, with my friend Coy.  It was the typical nervous first time service that Coy was conducting.  He had performed flawlessly until he comes to the point to pronounce them man and wife.  The choice of words that came to Coy's mind was not the usual, "I pronounce you man and wife, but, I now pronounce you male and female."  That produced an abundance of laughter among the crowd that day.
     Somehow, things look a little different in this day when traditions are thrown asunder and challenges are constantly being made to a way of life that has existed since the first man took the first woman to be his lawful cherished wife.
     I have difficulty believing that there are people in this world who think you can take something that is well defined and simply change the name and it will be different.  I think we are engaged in a far more complex battle than homosexuals wanting to have equal rights.  Most people I know, could not care less if two men or two women living together had the same tax advantages or any other advantages that are offered to married couples.  They can call it a civil union and I don't care.  It is not marriage, for marriage is between one man and one woman.  It appears that the forces in this country will someday have it where in every state two same sex people can be joined together and call it marriage.  But it will not be marriage.   I can call my old Chevrolet truck a Cadillac, but that does not change a thing.  I suppose I could go to court and have it's named changed to Cadillac as some people change their name.  But guess what, It is still a truck.  When I drive down the streets the average person is going to say there goes a truck.  So it will be with homosexual marriages, everyone, including those engaged know it is not a Cadillac--it is a truck.
    This is an attack at the institution of the family and not just a desire for equal rights for the couple.  Many a problem in America can be pointed to as being a direct result of the break up of the family.  No longer is the family unit intact, as a family unit, to provide the nurture and the admonition for the children to be able to face the trials of a cold, cold world. 
     To my friend, Coy, I would say, "Hang in there, you got it right the first time, keep on pronouncing them "male and female."

No comments:

Post a Comment